History and Heritage

 

1959

The Fire Service takes over RAF Moreton in Marsh, renaming it the ‘Home Office Fire Training Centre’

1966

The Home Secretary announces the relaunch as the ‘Fire Service Technical College’ with a focus on practical scenario training

1968

First Commandant Harry Judge envisages the College as a huge opportunity to build a world-class establishment that would last long into the future

1974

Official opening by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II on 17 May

1976

The College’s building works are  completed, including the planting of 80,000 trees

1981

The College becomes the home of training for senior members of the UK Fire Service when the Senior Staff College in Dorking closes

2006

The Princess Royal, Patron of the Firefighters Memorial Trust, visits the College to unveil a memorial plaque dedicated to Lady Cuthbert, who led the women’s fire brigade during World War II

2013

Capita plc acquires the College from Department for Communities and Local Government, bringing fresh investment and a new strategy and approach

2014

40th anniversary celebration attended by The Princess Royal

Annual World Rescue Challenge held at the College

2015

 

New state-of-the art Breathing Apparatus training facility opened in partnership with leading technology provider Dräger

UKFRS United Kingdom Rescue Challenge takes place at the College

College becomes first centre in Europe to achieve Pro Board accreditation to certify to the US based National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) Standards​

2016 The College, Chief Fire Officers Association and Fire Industries Association form a new partnership to help the UKFRS share research and innovation​

      

 

 

     

 

 

  

Newsletter sign up

Please sign up to our newsletter to make sure you are kept up to date with everything is going on here at The Fire Service College.

* Mandatory fields